Friday, September 3, 2010

Sleep and its effect on Health & Fitness

Who doesn't like sleep? I know I do! But many of us, with our busy schedules, fail to take the proper amount of time to rest and sleep. This has an adverse effect on our Health & Fitness! Our bodies need proper rest to rejuvenate as do our minds. Not getting proper rest can harm your Health and Fitness efforts.

Too many people rely on coffee or those energy drinks to substitute for rest and sleep. I'm not saying not to use them, they have their purpose, but they shouldn't be a substitute for proper sleep and rest. Remember our goal is improved Health & Fitness!!

Sometimes medication is needed to help with sleeping problems. Sometimes it requires a doctors help (sleep apnea). Whatever your reason, you need to make sure you get proper rest each day, whether all through the night or a nap during the day. This will greatly improve your Health and Fitness and will allow you to continue on your path to a better feeling YOU!

Here are some sites that can help you if you have problems with sleep:
Health and Herbs treatments for natural remedies to help with sleep.
Bigelow Chemist Oldest Apothecary in America for alternative remedies to help with sleep.

3 comments:

SomosDeLeón said...

Just a word about sleep apnea- many people don't understand what it is, or if they might suffer from it. "Apnea" means "not breathing," which happens when your own tissue blocks your airway during sleep. Most often the only way you'll know you have it is when your sleep partner tells you. Either you snore, or snort, or breathe loudly (big tip-offs), but the clincher is if you get quiet for a while (during which time you might actually LOOK like you're trying to breathe- you're just not moving any air), then suddenly move and take a great gasp of air. You are rarely aware when this happens, because you fall right back into deeper sleep until you do it again. Some folks go through this cycle only a few times an hour, while others may do so as often as 50-100 times per hour! If this describes your sleep pattern, it's a big deal. The consequences of untreated OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) are severe, both in the short-term, and even worse long-term. Go see your doctor. There are no shortcuts for this one. However, the GOOD news is that most OSA is weight-related, so once your doctor has begun treating you, there's a good possibility losing excess weight can help ease, or even cure, the problem. Just don't put it off- one of the big consequences of delaying treatment is getting your chest cracked open for a coronary arterial bypass graft. No joke. And aside from hurting a lot, it's expensive. So please go get checked- and good luck!

Tom Chouinard said...

Thanks Galen! You are so right, my Dad suffers from sleep apnea and had it checked out and sleeps using his breathing machine. I know he's had it for years, but we never knew about it, because he worked odd hours and we just thought it was fatigue etc...thankfully he got it checked out and it's managed. You are so correct on the relatedness to weight. Losing unneeded weight is a simple solution to reducing the symptoms and need for treatment. Not 100% of the time, but it is a step in the right direction for health improvement in general. Thanks for your insights!

Tom Chouinard said...

I also want to add about the importance of a good mattress! I've been playing sports my entire life and have done a great job on beating up my body. I've suffered many nights with a horrible nights sleep until last year.

I've been wanting to buy a new bed and wanted to try out the memory foam mattresses. The cost of the Tempurpedic just seemed ridiculous, so I went and checked out the Bob-o-Pedic. Well folks I bought the 10 inch mattress and will never sleep on anything else again!

I've never been more comfortable and relaxed after a night of sleep as I have since I bought this mattress.

Whenever I sleep on something else, since then, it's like sleeping on a bed of knives! lol

So I highly recommend anyone who is having pains in their back, joints etc...try out a memory foam bed. Not a memory foam mattress pad, an actual mattress. Once you do, you won't go back.

It has been great for me and I believe has extended my "sports" career and abilities since my body is able to rest and recover properly in full relaxation!